Thursday, March 11, 2010

Welcome.

My name is Kim Kohatsu. This blog was an idea I came up with a few months ago, because I got really furious about a news story I heard (more about that later). The reason I’m launching it tonight, with a little added urgency, is that this afternoon, my doctor told me that I have high blood pressure.

I’ve been wary of my blood pressure for a few years, because both my parents suffer from it. But I’m still very young (I’m 30), so I didn’t think I’d have anything to worry about for at least a decade. Well, that all changed today. My systolic (top) number was 149, where a healthy systolic pressure would be 120. I was prescribed a daily medication, Enalapril, because my doctor said with hypertension that high, changes in diet and exercise wouldn’t have a drastic enough difference.

I’m not overweight, though I wouldn’t mind losing a few pounds. I’m 5-feet tall and weigh 120 lbs. At my heaviest, I was 130 lbs, so last year I went on a low-calorie diet. It was my first experience ever watching what I ate, and regularly working out. I was always the skinny girl who could eat whatever I wanted and still be a rail. Well, once I got back to 120 I started to lapse, even though my goal weight was 110. I’ve been a steady 120 for a few months, and have gotten pretty comfortable there. I don’t go to the gym anymore and stopped keeping a food journal.

Well now, I’m going to reinstate my weight goal, but the focus is going to change—it’s not enough to count calories and beware of fat; I need to start monitoring my sodium. And this blog will be a documentation of my successes and failures as I do so.

I’m no health freak, athlete, vegetarian, or otherwise. I’m a regular girl with a few things working against me:

  1. Both my parents have high blood pressure
  2. I am single so I cook for myself, meaning I rely on convenience foods which are packed with sodium
  3. I LOVE eating out. I love eating, period. And, unfortunately, I do love my salt.
  4. I am not completely sedentary, but I’m not what I’d call “active,” either. I sit at a desk most of the day and get no joy from the gym.

I’m guessing a lot of people out there can relate. And, if you’re one of them, welcome aboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment